Flange Bearings Overview
A flange bearing is a type of bearing unit used for supporting the rotational and linear movements. It is a combination of a bearing, housing and a flange whose ends form a radial support surface. A flange bearing is designed to provide rigidity and support, making it suitable for use in both rotational and linear movements, and can be used in a variety of applications.
Types of Flange Bearings
Flange bearings come in a wide variety of styles, tailored for specific industry needs and applications. They can be divided into three main categories: angular contact, radial contact and semi-split.
- Angular Contact: These bearings are used for supporting angular movements and are the most common type of flange bearings. They have inner and outer races that are lined with ball bearings, providing support along two axes.
- Radial Contact: Radial contact bearings are designed to support thrust loads. They feature an outer ring that rotates and an inner race that is clamped in place.
- Semi-Split: Semi-split flange bearings feature grooves that allow the bearing’s components to move freely. This makes them well-suited for high speed and vibration applications.
Uses Of Flange Bearings
Flange bearings are used in a wide variety of applications including:
- Automotive: Flange bearings are used in a variety of automotive applications including wheel hubs, brake caliper assemblies and steering components.
- Industrial: Flange bearings are used in a variety of industrial applications, including conveyors, agricultural machines, and machine tools.
- Marine: Flange bearings are used in marine applications such as marine and off-shore industry. The bearings are suitable for use in a variety of applications including, shallow water propulsion.
- Aerospace: Flange bearings are used in aerospace applications such as in electric motors for aircraft systems.
The wide range of applications that flange bearings can be used in make them a versatile and reliable option for many different industries.
Flange bearings are a widely used and versatile type of bearing that is used in a variety of industrial and automotive applications. They provide rigidity and support, making them suitable for use in both rotational and linear movements. There are a variety of different types of flange bearings, each designed for specific industry needs and applications.